Go to the U of M home page


Fabio Hodo's picture

Getting a job in the US after graduation and understanding your visa status

Hi guys,

Today we are going to talk about how to get a permanent job after graduation in the US, and we are going to clear some misconceptions about hiring international students that you should also know when applying for a job.

First, it is probably not a great idea to reveal your international student status right away, be it on your resume or interview. Asking employers questions like: “Do you sponsor international students?” right away, is not the right start. Though, you have to keep in mind that you are not trying to hide it, but you are not trying to give it away just yet. If asked, state that you are an international student but be clear and confident, being an international student shows you are flexible and adaptable, and being bilingual definitely a big plus (especially if working for a multinational company).

If you are asked on whether you need sponsorship, you should remind them that you have the option of an OPT, which allows to work for 12 months in the US (+17 more months if you are in a STEM major). Another thing that we need to note is that in order for you stay permanently in the US, your employer needs to file for an H1B visa, which is different from a green card sponsorship, because in order for you to get an H1B visa, all they need to do is file a petition and they do not need to prove they made significant effort to hire an American worker beforehand (which is what usually deters them in the first place). The H1B is less paperwork, and the costs for covering can be negotiated during pay negotiation)

It is your responsibility to make sure your employers understands the details of your work status as this might be the difference between getting hired or not.

Hope this blog helps clears it a little.

As usual, Go Gophers!

Disclaimer: Everything written in this blog is purely out of my own knowledge and experience, and does not represent ISSS, the University or it's partners. You should not cite or use this blog as a source of information to your employer. I cannot guarantee its accuracy at the time of use by the reader. Please contact ISSS or an immigration attorney for precise information.